Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What else does the middle class have to pay?

The editorial blog on the Huffington Post by Catherine New regarding how the majority of the middle income is taken to pay for not only housing but transportation has really caught my attention. I believe the author intended for the audience to be for all the middle class tax payers. Which is more than half of the population. Catherine News information gathered her information based on the reports from the Center of Housing Policy, which is a non profit housing public organization.

I definitely agree with her findings. Her research states that twenty-five of the largest cities here in the United States have middle class households forking over fifty-nine percent of their paychecks. FIFTY-NINE PERCENT!?!? That is crazy!! That's more than half of these peoples income. People who need the money to pay for their own necessities. People who have family that sometimes depends on that only income and they're stripping it away. On Catherine's findings there is information that some states are not as high. For example Washington, DC, it's fifty-one percent for them. Although it is lower, it is still HALF of that persons income.
 A question comes into mind, why the middle class?

Like her article states, we're (and yes I'm including myself) the ones falling back economically. We work hard so we can try to make it financially, not so we can "help" the needy people. Paying for these basic necessities leaves these families with very little money to pay for their own necessities.

This makes me thing that it might just be a better idea to stop working and have the government and other people take care of me and my kids. Either way I'm being left with very little money. The easy way out seems very appealing right about now. Fortunately I'm not that type of person. I've been raised to be a hard worker to get and achieve what I want in life.

That's my opinion and I agree with Catherine. The candidates for presidency are trying to duck financial problems facing the citizens who are paying for shelter and transportation. We need actual solutions, not just ideas. Solutions that will start now now, not soon. The middle class should not be the one taking care of the needy. I'll leave you with a few questions I tend to always have: Why aren't the wealthy being taxed? Why does it seem like this is always a problem? Will this ever end?

No comments:

Post a Comment